I can’t believe that a new year is upon us. In less than 2 weeks we will be shouting “Happy New Year!” I always enjoy the New Year. I think about all the things that are possible in the next 365 days. Of course this is a time when a lot of people think about getting in shape. Goals are always a good thing, but I also think that when you have goals, you also need to know how and what helps reach those goals. To help you facilitate the process, I’ve listed out 5 strategies that always help me think about a goal and then break it down to really conquer it!
- Time– How much time is my goal going to require? I most likely will need to really be focused on time management and how it fits in to my schedule. If the goal is incredibly time consuming like running long distances, I know that I will need to manage my time more seriously. Getting up early has really helped in this case. It can be difficult at first, but of course after the first day, you WANT to go to bed earlier and therefore you get up earlier the next day. You also feel really accomplished. I know when I wake up early, get my workout in, and then look at my watch and it is only now 7:30, I am so pumped!
- Focus– Goals take focus. If you want to hit your 2018, you have got to stay focused on it. Write it out and place it on every thing you own to remind you of why you are doing what you are doing. When you get up before every one else and its pitch black outside and cold, read your goal! When friends ask you to go out to dinner and you order the protein and greens, read your goal. When you are tired after workout but the only time you can workout is at 6pm, reach in your pocket and read your goal! I also like to post motivational quotes on my mirrors and alarm clock.
- Community– Having a community is so helpful. When you don’t know if you can get out of bed for another 6am class, think of your fitness buddy who is counting on you to be there! This is so vital in keeping a goal. Your community will keep you accountable, and you keep them accountable as well! Encourage each other and you will sail through the goals!
- Fun- Whether you are trying to lose inches or pounds, gain muscle, bench your body weight, or run a marathon, have fun with it! Don’t take yourself too serious. If there is one thing I have learned from years of fitness goals its this, if you aren’t enjoying it, you won’t complete it! It’s so true, if you can’t find the joy in eating healthier, you won’t! Instead of thinking “I really just want a fill-in-the-blank burger right now” instead think “I can’t wait to go home and create the best damn burger this planet has ever seen!” If your goal is to run a long distance race and you are not enjoying the process, I encourage you reassess. How can you change things up a bit? Try and find the joy! May be you need to run with a friend, or on a trail, or do HIIT training mid run.
- Believe– You have to believe in your goal. You have to trust that you can do the work to get it done! Trust yourself, if you don’t, hire someone who can get you on track. But, no one else is going to understand your goal the way you do, so as corny as it may sound, your goal has to come from your heart!
I sincerely hope these help you obtain your 2018 fitness goal, what ever it may be! Let’s bring in 2018 knowing its going to be an amazing year!
Health and Happiness in the New Year!!!
Free Workout Plan
I have put together the first month of workouts for you, easy to follow and quick delivered to your Inbox.