I find it extremely difficult to stay focused during the winter months. Depending on where you live, this can play a huge role in your fitness. So how are we supposed to maintain any level of motivation? I have a few ideas. I hope they help you:
- Have a buddy: This is an incredibly helpful tool. Having someone you workout with makes you more likely to get the job done. When you workout with a buddy you are accountable for your time. You can motivate each other and have fun too.
- Get to it: Sometimes the toughest thing to do when it is cold and dark out is to start. I know as soon as I start a workout, I never regret it. So just, get to it!
- If you can, get out: Sometimes the winter months can produce a “cabin fever” feel. I suggest you get outside as much as possible. Even if you just go for a 10 minute walk and then rush back in for the 2nd half of the workout. There is just something to be said about the outdoors.
- Reward yourself: Winter months mean sweets are lurking in the back corner. Don’t be consumed with fear. If you had a great workout, reward yourself. Humans are biologically made to enjoy treats (just don’t get out of hand).
- Get Pumped Up: Nothing works better for me then listening to some great tunes. Music can enhance your mood and get the blood flowing. So pop on your ipod and have fun.